Monday, August 18, 2014

Fwd: LGBT youth think they're alone. Prove them wrong.



---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chad Griffin, HRC <hrc@hrc.org>
Date: Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 5:00 AM
Subject: LGBT youth think they're alone. Prove them wrong.
To: iammejtm@gmail.com


 
Dear Jen,

Kristin's story below is, sadly, a common one.

And it isn't just childhood bullies who harass their lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) peers.

Take this quote from Paul Cameron, chairman of the Family Research Institute, for example.
 
 
"I'm not advocating the death penalty. I'm saying I'm open to it, depending on what the legislature of a given country decides. One must understand those who act on their homosexual desires or interests usually end up being parasites on society... "
 
When LGBT youth are hearing vile messages like this, is it any wonder that they are more likely to suffer from depression, eating disorders and self-harm? Please renew your expired HRC membership with a gift now.

HRC is the first point of contact for many LGBT youth who are looking for resources and community. Our high visibility has given many young people hope that they are not alone.

By becoming a member of HRC once again today, you can become a vital part of creating that hope. As a token of our appreciation, we will send you a special HRC friendship bracelet—because your support is a gift of solidarity and compassion to so many.

Sincerely,
Chad Griffin
President
Human Rights Campaign
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Dear Jen,

I can still recall the terror I felt in high school when I saw "the list."

"The list" was titled "100 Ways to Kill Kristin." The six boys who created it used to read off the methods, one by one. My teacher did nothing. My best friend sat in silence. I felt completely alone.

Knowing the Human Rights Campaign was there to help would have made a huge difference to me as a teenager. That's why I'm counting on you and other past supporters of HRC to stand up for equality today.

If you watched my video that HRC recently sent, you know I lived my high school years in hiding because I was gay. I was even afraid at home—those boys, filled up with whiskey and hate, would drive down my family's country road, swerving their trucks.

I was terrified each time I saw their headlights outside my window, and I knew the mark they were leaving on our property—and on my spirit.

I never spoke up. I never fought back. I thought I'd make things worse … I thought that no one cared.

But I refuse to be silenced any longer.

To this day, high school still haunts me. But I need to share my story with you because there are many more lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) young people today who continue to experience the same abuse I did—and much worse.

We need to let LGBT youth know that they are not alone. Please join me today in supporting the Human Rights Campaign once again and standing up for equality.
 
 
TELL LGBT YOUTH: YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND
 
 
Friendship bracelets are a universal symbol of camaraderie and support. But for many LGBT youth, a good friend is hard to come by.
 
Donate $5 today and receive an exclusive HRC friendship bracelet to wear in solidarity or to share with someone you care about. Or make your gift monthly to have a lasting impact on LGBT equality.
 
 
 
 
I've joined HRC and its Board leadership because I want to be that hope for other LGBT youth. I want to make it so that other LGBT teens won't have to endure what I did. I want to help take our movement to the next level.

That's the power of being an HRC member. We can fight for marriage, for fair employment practices and pro-equality legislation ... and we can stand up for all of our LGBT youth. They shouldn't be alone in this fight.

Today I urge you to join me to fight for the young people who need us in their corner.

Please renew your support for equality by making a critical gift now. Together, we'll send a message to LGBT youth that they're not in this alone—that fair-minded people like you stand with them.

Thank you for listening to my story,
Kristin Shrimplin
Member, HRC Board of Governors
 
P.S. As horrible as my high school years were, I was lucky. My life has been filled with family, friends and colleagues who loved me when I couldn't love myself. But many young people do not have that support system. Show LGBT youth that you care, and that you are fighting to change hearts and minds. Join HRC once again with a $5 gift now. Or, make it a $5 monthly gift to show your lasting commitment to equality.
 
 
 
 
© 2014 The Human Rights Campaign. All rights reserved.
Human Rights Campaign | hrc.org
1640 ​Rhod​e Isl​and Ave. N.​W., Wash​ington, D​.C. 20​036-3​278
Phone: 20​2-6​28-41​60 TTY: 20​2-21​6-15​72 Fax: 20​2-34​7-53​23
 
 
Your support is important to us. Please contact us here so that we can respond to your questions or comments. Please do not reply directly to this email.

If you would like to unsubscribe from a specific Human Rights Campaign list, or update your account settings, you can visit your Subscription Management Page.
 

Powered By Blackbaud




--
Jeremy Tobias Matthews

No comments:

Post a Comment